Search This Blog

When A Shower is the Most Exciting Weekend Activity You Have....

Showering, washing hair, the every day morning beautification process.  Hated it.  Despised it.  All of this morning hoopla took away from my precious sleep time!  I'm a sleeper.  I hate mornings.  I hit the snooze about 6 times.  Now days I would love to be able to get up without pain and jump into the shower and head off to work.  Sleep is all I do now.  No fun! #thingswetakeforgranted

Pre-BC, you would find me out and about having fun pretty much every single weekend, and probably most evenings if I'm being honest.  I don't let much grass grow under my feet.  Never have.  I'm a go go go person.  Weekends were reserved for concerts, parties, road trips, wineries, and hanging out with friends.  Anything fun and exciting.

What a massive change in my weekend routine post-BC.  Weekends, and week days, for that matter, are for resting and concentrating on healing.  The weekend immediately following my mastectomy was spent lounging in my reclining lift chair, popping pain pills, rotating between sleep and reruns of Law and Order SVU.  And I was more than happy and content with this. Moving from the chair to the pot to pee was a major event!  Exciting stuff folks!

Fast forward to this past weekend, two weeks post mastectomy now.  I think I was in some kind of denial, because I figured by now I'd be up and moving and back to the normal "fun" me.  Ha!  That was the furthest thing from my mind still.  In fact, the most exciting thing that happened was something so small and minor it makes me laugh!  But to me it was one of the most amazing, big steps I had taken post BC.....

I took a shower!  A full on, in the stall, curtains closed, sprayer on, shower!

My fiancĂ© still had to crawl into the shower with me to wash my hair, as I still was not able to lift my arms that high.  We had a great laugh, reminiscing about the last time we took a shower together it was much more exciting than this.  In Mexico after day drinking on a bar hop.  You get the picture *wink wink*.  LOL  This weekend's shower was seriously the BEST shower I had ever had in my life, Mexico a close second, sorry darlin' LOL!  

During this journey thus far I have learned so much about the things we take for granted in every day life.  Somewhere along our path toward adulthood and beyond we forget how to be grateful and gracious for all that we have.  I am definitely guilty of this.  When faced with something that makes you re-evaluate your life, you gain new perspective and learn to appreciate everything you are blessed with instead of complaining about everything.

It is crazy to think that something as insignificant as a warm shower, something that pre-BC, I did every day, without giving any thought that this is a luxury to some people.  And for me, I usually complained about it.  Had to get up earlier to do it, it made me late for work, or I was just plain being lazy.  Now, on this very exciting weekend, I was grateful and excited about doing it!

Perspective.  For me, normal every day routine events will now be placed into a more relevant category going forward.  I will be appreciating even the most minor "luxuries" afforded to me, as I now realize everything we have in this life is a gift.  Even the smallest most unexciting thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK.....

All my life people have been telling me... You should write a book... You can't make this shit up! That seems to have been the theme o...